Veterinary License: Expires annually on December 31st
Continuing Education: Proof of twenty (20) hours required each year (3 on-line hours allowed per renewal cycle)
Vet Tech Registration: Expires biennially on December 31st - every two (2) years; it is based on the year of initial registration
Continuing Education: Proof of twelve (12) hours required every two (2) years (3 on-line hours allowed per renewal cycle)
Important Continuing Education (CE) Information
- Credit for CE is based on 1 hour (60 minutes) of lecture, lab, seminar, etc.
- Three (3) CE hours of computer-based training relating to the practice of veterinary medicine will be accepted during a renewal cycle; this is in accordance with Administrative Code .0206 (4).
- Credits not obtained during the current calendar year will incur a $50.00 penalty.
- University/College internship programs must have prior Board approval with written information and documentation.
- Some educational training provided during presentations can only be performed by a North Carolina licensed veterinarian.
- The Board does not accept the following: correspondence-style programs, programs relating to hospital management or design, nor attendance in exhibit halls.
- Information on a program needs to be submitted to the Board office a minimum of fourteen (14) days prior to the presentation.
CE Web Links
1.) DVM 360
2.) NC State University CVM
3.) IDEXX Laboratories
4.) International Veterinary Seminars
5.) NC Academy of Small Animal Medicine
CE Web Links - Membership Required
3.) NC Veterinary Medical Association
4.) American Association for Laboratory Animal Science
5.) National Association of Veterinary Technicians
Individuals Seeking Pre-approval
The Board recommends an individual seeking CE credits to contact the Provider of the program first to see if pre-approval has been granted by NCVMB. An individual may inquire if a program can be used as CE credit by selecting the form below.
Individual Approval Form: Veterinarian or technician request form - please mail or fax.
NOTE: If you are the program provider, please select the "Provider Form" below.
CE Providers Seeking Pre-approval
Providers are required to present each individual who has completed the program with a certificate showing the number of credit hours as approved by the NCVMB. Approval of future programs depends on compliance with Board requirements. Failure to do so could result in approval of programs to be withdrawn. Should any changes be made to the CE program, the Board will need to have prior notification in writing of those changes.
Provider Form: Pre-approval request form - please mail or fax.
Request for CE Extension of Time
A request for an extension of time to obtain CE credits may be granted if an individual can provide evidence of an incapacitating illness or evidence of other circumstance which constituted a severe and verifiable hardship.
The written request should be submitted to the Board office prior to the renewal cycle or when the need becomes obvious. The request must state details of the incapacitating illness or evidence of other severe and verifiable circumstance that prevented compliance with the CE requirement.
Some extension requests may require the review of the full Board; that review will take place during the next scheduled Board meeting. Not all requests for extensions are granted.