Veterinary Technician Exams
PLEASE NOTE: The State Exam is required for 'ALL' technicians seeking licensure in NC.
NC Veterinary Technician State Exam
ELIGIBILITY / REQUIREMENTS / DOCUMENTS:
- One must have graduated from an American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) accredited program and have a passing score on the VTNE to be eligible to sit for the NC Veterinary Technician State Examination.
- A degree conferred transcript
- A VTNE score - available via the American Association of Veterinary State Boards (AAVSB)
- License verification(s) from any state in which you held any professional license/registration. All verifications must be no older than six (6) months from exam date.
For further details and exam dates, see the 'NC Veterinary Technician State Exam Application' below. We DO NOT offer exams in November or December.
NC State Exam
The NC State exam consists of 100 questions and is based on the PRACTICE ACT (General Statutes and Administrative Rules) governing the practice of veterinary medicine in North Carolina. There are 70 true/false and 30 multiple choice questions; passing score is 70. Results for this examination are known in approximately one (1) week. The fee is $50 and is non-refundable or applicable toward a future exam.
NOTE: See application below for test dates and exam process. We DO NOT offer exams in November or December.
2017 Vet Tech State Exam application with dates.
If ADA accommodations are needed to take an exam:
Contact the Board office in writing by the application deadline. Please include in your correspondence:
- When the disability was professionally diagnosed
- How diagnosed
- Name of professional who is providing care
- Letter from Professional/Doctor that diagnosed the disability stating how the disability was diagnosed, what accommodations are being requested and how it relates to the disabilities, given that the examination is largely multiple choice and true/false questions
- What accommodations have been received relating to high school and college?
- What accommodations were received, if any, for the college admission test?
VTNE: Veterinary Technician National Examination
The VTNE is a requirement for registration as a veterinary technician in North Carolina. The exam consists of 150 multiple choice operational items and 20 multiple choice pilot items. The candidate's score is based on the candidate's responses to the 150 operational items; the remaining 20 pilot items embedded in the test will not count towards one's score. The pilot questions will be used in constructing future examinations. This exam is offered at computer testing centers throughout North America and at certain overseas sites operated by Prometric.
How to prepare for the VTNE
The VTNE Eligibility Process
The NC Board has the responsibility to approve you to sit for the VTNE. You will need to request a "degree conferred" transcript be mailed from your school to our office ASAP. The approval deadline is determined by AAVSB so please adhere to time sensitive dates.
- Mid-March through mid-April
- Mid-July through mid-August
- Mid-November through mid-December
Questions should be directed to American Association of Veterinary State Boards AAVSB