Useful Links


Bullet International Council for Veterinary Assessment (ICVA) - Bismark, ND
Formerly the National Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners (NBVME)

Information on the North American Veterinary Licensing Examination (NAVLE)
Phone: (701) 224-0332


Bullet The American Association of Veterinary State Boards - Kansas City, MO

  1. North Americal Veterinary Licensure Examination (NAVLE) score transfer information
    Phone: (877) 698-8482 or (816) 931-1504
  2. Information for graduates from non-accredited veterinary schools/colleges - PAVE


Bullet American Veterinary Medical Association

  1. List of AVMA Accredited Veterinary Schools/Colleges for Veterinarians
  2. Information for graduates from non-accredited veterinary schools/colleges - ECFVG


Bullet North Carolina Veterinary Medical Association
Offers continuing education; handles legislative matters; has an ethics and grievance committee available to members only.
Phone: (800) 446-2862 or (919) 851-5850
Website: NCVMA


Bullet USDA / APHIS / VS
Pet Travel
Animal Health Certificates for Travel
Find an Accredited Veterinarian

Export Live Animals other than Pets
International Regulations

Veterinary Accreditation Information
Accreditation Program
Phone: (919) 855-7700 or (919) 855-7100

The NC State Veterinarian's Office receives many questions about what Health Certificates can be used to export animals to other states. NC Dept. of Agriculture has compiled the following list of paper and electronic certificates of veterinary inspection that are approved for exporting animals from North Carolina.

NCDA&CS issues a paper, livestock and poultry interstate certificate of veterinary inspection for a fee. It does not provide for companion animal interstate movement. To order ICVIs, call 919.707.3250.

The following electronic certificates of veterinary inspection have been approved for use in North Carolina by the State Veterinarian's Office

1. VSPS is administered by the USDA APHIS
2. VSPS is FREE to all users
3. VSPS can be used to create Interstate Certificates of Veterinary Inspection (ICVI) for large animals
4. VSPS is approved in all 50 states
5. VSPS does not currently provide ICVIs or laboratory testing forms for companion animals such as cats and dogs
View the VSPS website PDF for more information

GlobalVetLINK, LLC (GVL)
1. Accredited Practitioners may subscribe to GVL for a monthly access fee and a per certificate usage fee. Veterinary Assistants and other practice staff are free of charge; 
2. Animal owners can access their certificates for free through MyVetLINK
3. Allows practitioners and their clients uninterrupted access to their records online
4. Creates ICVIs for small and large animals
5. Meets USDA requirements and regulations, accepted by all 50 states
6. Precise identification including digital photos and brand images
7. Mobile capability
Visit GlobalVetLINK or call 515.817.5703 to create an account

AgView CVI
1. Creates ICVIs for small and large animals
2. Offers a user-friendly interface for digitally entering animal health certificate data
3. ICVIs can be created offline, allowing veterinarians to use their mobile device to create ICVIs in the field
4. Beginning January 1, 2019, there is a flat rate charge of $3.00 per ICVI written
5. Clinic accounts allow for veterinarian and animal health support staff to collaborate on ICVI creation and submission, creating a more efficient ICVI process for practices
6. AgView is available on iOS, Android, and desktop platforms
7. Creates ICVIs for small and large animals
Visit the AgView CVI website or TAMU for more information.


Bullet NC Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (Veterinary Division)
Phone: (919) 707-3250

Important COVID-19 Update from the Department of Agriculture
Memo from NC State Veterinarian

  1. Livestock Phone: (919) 707-3250
  2. Animal Welfare Section Phone: (919) 707-3280
  3. Spay & Neuter Program
  4. FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions
  5. Veterinary Division
  6. Veterinary Feed Directive


Bullet STOP Act
Prescription Limitations on Pain: Acute | Post-Op | Chronic
G. S. 90-106. Prescriptions and Labling

STOP Act Fully Enacted July 7, 2021

STOP Act Information

Veterinarian Dispenser Guide


Bullet The issues of CBDs
Consider this...

FDA warns 15 companies for illegally selling various products containing cannabidiol as agency details safety concerns


Bullet NC Department of Revenue
Phone: (877) 252-3052

  1. 'Privilege License Tax' Information & Application
  2. 'Privilege License Tax' RENEWAL NOTICE: What should I do?



Bullet American Veterinary Medical Association AVMA
List of AVMA accredited college/school programs for Veterinary Technicians


Bullet The American Association of Veterinary State Boards AAVSB
Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE) score transfer information
Phone: (877) 698-8482
How to prepare for the VTNE


Bullet North Carolina Association of Veterinary Technicians NCAVT



Bullet Personal Health & Wellness
Includes 'After Hours' Contact Information

Bullet NC DHHS - Department of Health and Human Services
Divison of Public Health / Epidemiology (RABIES)
Phone: (919) 733-3419  also AFTER HOURS EMERGENCY

  1. Occupational & Environmental Epidemiology
  2. Vaccination Requirements & Guidelines
  3. Diseases & Topics


Began June 3, 2019  
Read more re: STOP Act...
1. User Support Manual
2. Quick Reference Guide
3. MODULE-1: Registration Login & Add New Users
4. MODULE-2: Data Submission

DHHS E-mail:
DHHS Phone: 855.962.4767


Bullet USP 800
In North Carolina, the enforcement of USP 800 will be through OSHA and/or the NC Board of Pharmacy

Specific information from USP and the Hazardous Drug Consensus Group can be found at the following:

The following is an excellent informational piece from Blue Pearl regarding USP 800 and Veterinarians:


Bullet NC DHHS - Drug Control Unit
State agency that registers and inspects facilities if two (2) or more veterinarians work out of the same cache of controlled drugs.
Customer Service Center: 800.662.7030


Bullet NC DHHS - Radiation Protection Section
Phone: (919) 814-2250

  1. Guidelines for Written Safety Program
  2. Quick Links
  3. Steps to Install X-Ray Equipment / Register a Facility
  4. Registration Memorandum
  5. MEMO re: Registrant Requirement to Verify Service Provider Registration


Bullet Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
FAQ - Animal Importation / Exportation


Bullet Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA)
Title 21 Code of Federal Regulations

Federal agency that registers veterinarians for controlled substances.
Every person or entity that handles controlled substances must be registered with DEA or be exempt by regulation from registration. To obtain a DEA registration, a practitioner must apply using a DEA-Form 224.
Request Order Forms
Registration Q&A


Q&A For Prescribing Practioners 
Veterinarians and the DEA

Greensboro, NC Phone: (336) 547-4219
Registration Assistance Phone: (888) 869-9935

Diversion Control Division - Field Office Contact Search
Atlanta, GA Phone: (404) 893-7165

  1. Registration Q&A
  2. Using a hospital's DEA number: Read more... PAGE 45
  3. On-line Registration Applications (New & Renewal)
  4. Questions and Answers
  5. Q&A for Electronic Prescriptions for Controlled Substances (EPCS) 
  6. Request Order Forms
  7. Theft/Loss of controlled substances must be reported to DEA. Submit DEA Form-106 and follow all DEA regulations regarding this matter.
  8. Form-222 used for ordering Schedule I and II controlled substances.
    Q&A re: DEA Form-222     Procedure for Obtaining DEA Form-222        
    Example of DEA Form-222
    created by Midwest Veterinary Supply            
  9. Termination of Registration -- Transfer of Registration -- Distribution upon Discontinuance of Business    
  10. Disposing Controlled Substances / Expired Narcotics - Do not throw them away with your office trash!
    DEA Drug Disposal Information

    How do I dispose of expired/unwanted substances?
    Contact a NC-DCU agent at 919-733-1765 or e-mail and submit DEA Form-41 to the DEA office, using a DEA registered controlled substances disposal form OR re-distribute to the original supplying/manufacturing company where the chemical was obtained.


    Reverse Distributors


bullet Heartworm Guidelines
     Heartworm Society


Bullet NC Division of Waste Management

Phone: (919) 707-8200
1. Solid Waste Section     
2. Medical Waste Section
3. Hazardous Waste Section
4. Alternative Medical Waste Treatment Technologies Section


Bullet US Department of Labor - Washington, DC
(800) 321-6742
Website: OSHA

Bullet NC Department of Labor
Phone: (919) 807-2796 or (800) 625-2267
Website: NCDOL


Bullet NC Board of Pharmacy
Phone: (919) 246-1050

  1. Website: NCBOP
  2. Compounding See Administrative Code 21 NCAC 46.1810


Bullet US Food and Drug Administration - Silver Springs, MD
Phone: (888) 463-6332
Website: FDA

Contact Us

Phone: 919-854-5601
Fax: 919-854-5606

1611 Jones Franklin Rd, Ste 106
Raleigh, NC 27606