You are exempt from CE requirements for your FIRST renewal cycle if you graduate the same year you become licensed or registered in North Carolina.
- Expire annually on December 31st
- Continuing Education: Proof of twenty (20) hours required each year (3 online hours permitted each renewal cycle)
Veterinary Technician Registration
- Expires biennially on December 31st - every two (2) years; renewal time is dependent upon the year of initial registration.
- Continuing Education: Proof of twelve (12) hours required every two (2) years (3 online hours permitted per renewal cycle)
You may access your account year-round to add CE, update your personal information (except name changes), or print a copy of your license/registration certificate.
Continuing Education Concerns
- Credit for CE is based on one hour (60 minutes) of lecture, lab, seminar, etc.
- Only three (3) hours of computer based training will be accepted during each renewal cycle in accordance with Administrative Code .0206 (4).
- Credits not obtained during the current calendar year will incur a $50.00 penalty.
- University/College Internship programs need prior Board approval before being used as CE credit. Written documentation on the University/College program needs to be submitted to the Board office prior to the renewal cycle for approval.
- Some educational training provided during presentations can only be performed by a North Carolina licensed veterinarian.
- An individual may request, in writing, an extension of time to obtain continuing education. If they provide evidence of an incapacitating illness or evidence of other circumstances which constituted a severe and verifiable hardship. The request to be submitted to the Board office for review must state the incapacitating illness or evidence of other severe and verifiable circumstance. Some extension requests may require the review of the full Board; that review will take place during the next scheduled Board meeting. The request for an extension of time should be submitted to the Board office prior to the renewal cycle or when the need becomes obvious. Not all requests for extension of time are granted.
- The Board does not accept correspondence-style programs or attendance in exhibit halls.
Individuals Seeking Pre-Approval
The Board recommends an individual seeking CE credits to contact the Provider of the program first to see if pre-approval has been granted by NCVMB. An individual may inquire if a program can be used as CE credit by selecting the form below.
Individual Approval Form: Veterinarian or technician request form: please mail or fax.
NOTE: If you are the program provider, please select the 'Provider Form' below.
CE Providers Seeking Pre-Approval
Providers are required to present each individual who has completed the program with a certificate showing the number of credit hours as approved by the NCVMB. Approval of future programs depends on compliance with Board requirements. Failure to do so could result in approval of programs to be withdrawn. Should any changes be made to the CE program, the Board will need to have prior notification in writing of those changes. Information on a program needs to be submitted to the Board office a minimum of fourteen (14) days prior to the presentation.
Provider Form: Pre-Approval request form - please mail or fax
Request for CE Extension of Time
A request for an extension of time to obtain CE credits may be granted in an individual can provide evidence of an incapacitating illness or evidence of other circumstances which constituted a severe and verifiable hardship.
The written request should be submitted to the Board office prior to the renewal cycle or when the need becomes obvious. The request must state details of the incapacitating illness or evidence of other severe and verifiable circumstance that prevented compliance with the CE requirement.
Some extension requests may require the review of the full Board; that review will take place during the next scheduled Board meeting. Not all requests for extension are granted.